July 31, 2008

Why I Write

Because I don't know how not to write.

But more importantly, I love words. I love caressing them, rearranging them, using them to express my precise thoughts, and even some imprecise ones. Words help me organize my world.

I have written since I was old enough to pick up a pen and paper. When I turned 10, I got a plastic electric typewriter. I never did master use of that, but as a teenager with a job, my first purchase was, my very own electric typewriter. Computers rendered it a relic. But I loved the beauty of moving my fingers and painting the canvas with the medium of vocabulary.

I have a journal that I began when I was 7. I filled it with stories of my day, what I had for lunch, and who pulled my hair. I wrote about playground fights. As I got older, I chronicled the horrible unfairness of my parents. Yet older still, I wrote about friends and family, gains and losses. I process my life in this tidy little book with the Holly Hobbie cover. I wrote about my grandmother's death, my first born child, and I still have yet to fill this crazy book. I figure if I ever fill it, I will have grown a year.

When I was in 8th grade, I turned in a paper to my English teacher. When I received the paper back, it was graded with a "P". A WHAT??? Yes, a "P". Well, her last name began with a "P", so I figured it was some sort of code. Naturally, I had to find out, so I went up to her after class and said, "Mrs. P? Why is my grade a P?"

With a gentle smile, Mrs. P's eyes met mine, and she said, "P is for Promising."

That, is why I write. Fulfilling the promise.

And if you're keeping track, WORDS are yet another time I've been in love. Still am.

3 comments:

  1. When I was young I never had time to read any more then what was required for school. I was always too busy being outside playing whatever sport was in season. I would be out playing some kind of ball from the time I got up till it was too dark and even then during the summer would be busy playing things like kick the can in the dark. Now that I am older I can't seem to read enough. From the 2 or 3 newspapers I read daily to the many books that I keep by the night stand. Every night I seem to need to read in bed just to be able to help unwind and prepare myself for sleep. My daughter has always loved to read from the time I used to read her books at bedtime from a very early age. From the time she became a teen her yearly Christmas list has always been dominated by the list of books that she wanted. She got a thrill when she moved to New York City and saw a flyer advertising a book signing by one of her favorite authors. When she meet the author to get a signed book the author some how recognized her from some blogs she had written about some of the authors books. The author then invited her to join her and some friends for dinner that night.
    Besides enjoying reading both newspapers and books I also always enjoy reading Fresh's blogs as they are always witty, insightful and very entertaining. Please keep up the great work as I look forward to reading many more of your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fresh! So glad to have found your blog, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of you in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what I was looking for, thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining the conversation! Your input is always valued.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...