May 26, 2013

The Big Change

Contribution by Stevie Kirby

You know, it’s hard to grow up. There are times when I wish all I had to think about was where to sit in the lunchroom and what type of sneakers to buy instead of the rates for CDs at the bank and electriccompaniesindallas.com/. Don’t get me wrong, I love having the freedom to be able to do what I need to do when I want to do it – staying out until 3 am last weekend isn't something I could have done until now! 

But owning a home (even if my dad did buy it for me) and having a 9-5 job is really dragging me down in terms of being able to do what I want. I love that there are so many opportunities for me to meet new people here in Texas because I was really getting tired of the same old people in Alabama. I think the best thing I ever did for myself was leaving the state after college and taking this job in Dallas – it’s enough like home that I don’t feel totally homesick but it’s different enough that it feels like an adventure. 

I really wish there were more people who do what I do (I freelance, so I work from home during the day – I call it 9-5 because those are the hours I've set for myself and that’s what I have to do to keep on track) and it’s sometimes lonely here. My friends all work in an office and with other people so there are definitely moments when I wish I was more straitlaced. I could never do a desk job, though, because the inflexibility of working for a large company is just so not how I work and I would have had a really tough time adjusting. I love it here in Dallas but at some point I’m going to have to decide if I’m staying here forever or going back home to Alabama at the right time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for joining the conversation! Your input is always valued.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...